Our bright team
While each of our lawyers is specialised in one or more practice areas, they also develop and maintain professional knowledge in general business law. We train our lawyers to be exceptionally well-rounded practitioners in order to ensure that specialisation is achieved without sacrificing the important perspective of the generalist. Strict adherence to quality is reflected in the selection and training of our professionals.
Intellectual Property and Technology; Corporate and Commercial law; Marketing Law
Åsa advises in the field of contentious and non-contentious intellectual property law, marketing law and commercial contracts. She has extensive experience in strategic IP management, complex franchising, licensing and distribution arrangements and she frequently advises major international clients on trademark, design, anti-counterfeiting, trade secret and unfair business practice related questions and disputes as well as in M&A related IP matters.
Career and qualifications
Waselius & Wist, Partner 2020-; Borenius Attorneys (Partner 2014-2020, Specialist Partner 2011-2013, Senior Advisor, 2010–2011, Senior Associate 2006–2010); Forum Partners Attorneys, Attorney at Law (2004–2006), KPMG, Legal Counsel (2001–2004), Canon Europa, Amsterdam, Legal Counsel (1998–2000), Rakennus Oy Lemminkäinen, Legal Counsel (1997), District Court of Parainen, court traineeship (1995–1996), Keijo Heinonen Attorneys, Lawyer (1994–1995)
Finnish Bar Association; Finnish Association for Industrial Property Rights (STY) (Member of the Board 2009-2018, Vice Chairman 2015-2018); Finnish Anti-counterfeiting Group (Member of the Board 2009-2013), INTA (International Trademark Association); AIPPI (International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property); Finnish Cité Internationale des Arts Foundation (Chairman of the Board 2019-).
Åsa was a member of the working group that revised the old Finnish Trademark Act. The new Trademark Act (544/2019) and related laws came into force on 1 May 2019.
* Ranked as leading Franchise lawyer by Who’s Who Legal 2021
* Recommended as leading lawyer in the field of Intellectual Property by both Chambers Europe and Chambers Global
* Recommended in Intellectual Property by The Legal 500
* Ranked as Leading Trademark Professional (GOLD) by WTR 1000, 2014 – 2021
* Member of Top 250 Women in IP 2019/20 and 2020/21
* Trademark star by IP Stars
* Recommended IP expert in the IAM Patent 1000
* Recommended in the field of Intellectual Property by Best Lawyers®
* Exclusive winner of ILO’s Client Choice Awards 2016 General Corporate Category for Finland
"Her mastery of sophisticated strategies is excellent and her network of associates around the world even better. Proactive, responsive and a great communicator, Åsa always delivers."
– WTR1000 2021
"It’s always easy to work with her; she is fast and reliable."
– Chambers Europe & Global 2020
"Fast and effective client service and deep technical knowledge on IP matters."
– Chambers Europe & Global 2019
"Skilful and experienced."
– Chambers Europe & Global 2019
"People-oriented and extremely friendly."
– Chambers Europe & Global 2018
"Quick on her feet, precise, practical and brilliant, there is no doubt to what she can achieve. Åsa is one of Finland’s best."
– WTR1000 2020
"Committed and really talented”, Krook excels at unravelling tricky unfair business practice questions, regulatory scenarios and multifaceted franchising deals."
– IAM Patent 1000
"She has in-depth knowledge and gives excellent guidance on all general corporate matters."
– ILO’s Client Choice Awards 2016
* Waselius & Wist successfully represented NaturaMed against the Finnish Consumer Ombudsman in the Market Court in a significant marketing law case;
* Waselius & Wist successfully represented a German company and its Finnish subsidiary in the automotive industry in a trademark and auxiliary trade name dispute in the Market Court;
* Advises global brand owners with internationally well-known brands in trademark portfolio management, trademark strategies, contentious IP matters and commercial contracts;
* Represented successfully the European market leader in bone cement and its Nordic branch in the Market Court in a complex dispute regarding unfair trade practices and unlawful use of trade secrets;
* Advised a major Finnish dairy company in the sale of its starter culture ingredients business, including ingredients rights, patents, know-how, trademarks and licensing;
* Advised a listed Finnish company in the grocery chain in the negotiations of several master franchise agreements for the Finnish and Russian markets;
* Assisted international franchise chains in various sectors in their establishment and activities on the Finnish market;