Our bright team
While each of our lawyers is specialised in one or more practice areas, they also develop and maintain professional knowledge in general business law. We train our lawyers to be exceptionally well-rounded practitioners in order to ensure that specialisation is achieved without sacrificing the important perspective of the generalist. Strict adherence to quality is reflected in the selection and training of our professionals.
Tax and Structuring
Jouni Weckström focuses on tax disputes, tax audits, tax related risk assessment and strategic advisory. Jouni also assists clients in Customs investigations and related controversy as well as in tax evasion related criminal proceedings. Jouni’s tax disputes primarily include transfer pricing, cross-border tax matters, national income tax and transfer tax issues, VAT, Customs as well as cases with specific EU dimension. Jouni’s work experience from the Finnish Tax Administration as well as from the City of Helsinki and the State of Finland as a tax litigator has given him valuable insight in the mode of operation of the authorities in tax litigation. Jouni is a frequent speaker in tax related seminars with topics ranging from digital taxation and tax disputes to tax evasion related criminal proceedings. Jouni is recognized as one of the leading tax specialists in Finland by all relevant international legal directories.
Career and qualifications
Waselius & Wist, Partner 2019-; Waselius & Wist, Specialist Partner 2018-2019; Krogerus, Counsel, Co-Head of Tax Group (2016-2018); Roschier, Tax Counsel (2012–2015); Bützow, Partner (2011–2012); Attorney-at-law (2009–2011); Hannes Snellman, Attorney-at-law (2007–2009); Castrén & Snellman, Attorney-at-law (2005–2007); City of Helsinki, Tax Litigator (2001–2005); Corporate Tax Office, Helsinki, Tax Expert (1999–2001)
Finnish Bar Association; International Fiscal Association (IFA); Finnish Tax Experts (Suomen Veroasiantuntijat ry); Suomen veromiehet ry, Member of the Board
* Recommended as leading Tax Controversy practitioner by the ITR World Tax
* Recommended as leading lawyer in the field of Tax Law by Chambers Europe and Chambers Global
* Recommended as Legal Thought leader in the field of Corporate Tax: Advisory and Controversy by Who’s Who Legal
* Tax Controversy Leader 2018 in International Tax Review
* Recommended in Tax by The Legal 500
"stubborn litigator" (Tax)
– The Legal 500
"quick to familiarise himself with a complex topic"
– Chambers Europe 2018
"he is very reactive and has an in-depth knowledge of Finnish tax law"
– Chambers Europe 2018
Noted as "very analytical" (Tax)
– Chambers Europe 2017
* Finland Chapter in The Tax Disputes and Litigation Review – Edition 7
* Tax Sovereignty in EU – is there such, what’s its relevance in the first place?
* Can gross negligence really mean something else in taxation?
* Significant victory in a tax ruling process regarding Directed Employee Share Issue before the Finnish Supreme Administrative Court;
* Acquisition of Automatia Pankkiautomaatit Oy by Loomis AB;
* Waselius & Wist successfully represented public broadcaster YLE in its Panama Papers tax case;
* Victory in VAT dispute before the Helsinki Administrative Court;
*As a former Tax Litigator of the City of Helsinki, Jouni has been involved in numerous tax disputes. Recently Jouni acted as a counsel in complex transfer pricing disputes and landmark cases pertaining to tax procedural issues confronting with constitutional rights and related VAT praxis.
*In his transactional practice, Jouni advises numerous multinationals and international investors in cross-border structurings. Jouni’s specialties also include cross-border real estate transactions and related structuring work as well as complex cross-border VAT arrangements.