Our bright team
While each of our lawyers is specialised in one or more practice areas, they nevertheless develop and maintain professional knowledge in general business law. We train our lawyers to be exceptionally well-rounded practitioners in order to ensure that specialisation is achieved without sacrificing the important perspective of the generalist. Strict adherence to quality is reflected in the selection and training of our professionals.
Career and qualifications
Waselius & Wist 2012-; Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP (2015); Law Office Heinonen & Mörä (2009–2012)
Maria advises financial institutions, investors and corporates on cross-border financing and capital markets transactions and related regulatory matters. She has experience in structured finance across a variety of asset classes, as well as special situations and distressed investments.
In 2015, Maria was with Cravath, Swaine & Moore in London as a Foreign Associate working on equity and debt capital markets transactions.
Finnish Bar Association (2016); Finnish Law Association
* Winner of the country award for Finland across practice areas in the Euromoney Legal Media Group Europe Rising Star Awards in 2019.
* Shortlisted for the Banking and finance practice area award in the Euromoney Legal Media Group Europe Rising Star Awards in 2019.
* Recommended as “Rising Star” in Banking and finance by the Euromoney Legal Media Group Rising Stars Guide, 2018 and 2019.
"outstanding: we hadn't worked together previously, but they came recommended on the fintech payment side and they were just wonderful. They offered key insights with regards to the regulator in Finland and delivered everything you would want in terms of working in a similar style to US lawyers but also having deep knowledge of the landscape in Finland."
– Chambers Global 2020
"Excellent, very responsive and engaged."
* Advised Winance in connection with a bridge loan to Valoe Corporation;
* Acted for Otso Gold Oy (former Nordic Gold Oy) in bankruptcy proceedings before the District Court of Oulu;
* Purchase of three Embraer E190 aircraft;
* Advised AMC Networks in connection with the rights offering of Next Games;
* Advised Santander in an EUR 799 million STS labelled securitisation of auto loans;
* Refinancing of CABB Chemicals with EUR 640 million Senior Secured and Unsecured Notes offering;
* Lease of aircraft engines;
* Refinancing of Technopolis;
* Acquisition of Bella Boats by Nimbus Boats;
* Acquisition of Verifone Systems Inc. by Francisco Partners and BCI;
* Acquisition of Solita by Apax;
* Fingrid Oyj EMTN Debt Issuance Programme listed on the LSE;
* Acquisition of Digita Oy by Digital Colony;
* Joint venture between Firesteel Resources Inc. and Nordic Mines AB;
* Acquisition of Skaala by IFN Group;
* Financing of My Lender;
* Neste Corporation EUR 400 million notes listed on NASDAQ Helsinki;
* Refinancing of Nomad Foods by Offering of Senior Secured Notes and Senior Credit Facilities;
* Offering of Senior Notes by Nets Group;
* Acquisition of Staples’ European Business by Cerberus Capital Management;
* Finnair Revolving Credit Facility;
* Sanoma Revolving Credit Facility;
* Financing of acquisition by Permira of CABB Group and EUR 410 million Senior Secured Notes offering;
* Offering of Senior Secured Bonds by Elematic;
* Offering of EUR 300 million Senior Secured Notes by Ovako;
* Advised Eurex Clearing AG in connection with its admission as a clearing house pursuant to the EMIR;